Windows 10 File Explorer Add New Detail To Sort By
In this Windows 10 post, we will be showing you how to set up a new field for File Explorer for your folders when you either select “Sort by” or if you are using columns.
If you have a lot of files or pictures saved on your PC then you can sort them into a particular order to make it easier to find what you are looking for. As a default, when you click on “Sort by” Windows 10 has the following fields: Name, Date modified, Type, Size, so the fields are a little limited. These fields are also the only filters available for the columns in File Explorer.
Luckily for us, we can add more details to sort your files and folders by making it even easier to find and organise your files. For example, you could add a column and sort by date or sender name. We have listed the steps below.
When you do add a new column or “sort by” detail it will only be added to that particular folder
Add New Columns To Sort By In File Explorer:
1. First Open File explorer > Go to the folder that you would like to add more columns to > If you do not see any columns right-click in an empty area > View > Details
2. Right-click on the filter column > You can now choose from a small list of filters here or you can click “More” for a list of even more filters that you can add
3. Select the filters then click “OK“
Add New Details To “Sort By” In File Explorer:
1. Open File Explorer > Go to the folder you would like to sort > Right-click in an empty space > Sort by > Click on More
2. Select the fields you would like to add by ticking the box for your chosen detail > Press OK > Go back to Sort by and you will now have those added fields to choose from in the list
There you have it that’s how you can add extra columns to the top of File Explorer and also extra search fields when you click on Sort by, in Windows 10.
We have more Windows 10 posts here which you might like.