In this guide, we will be taking a look at methods on how to fix MW2 crashing and not loading on your PS5 or PS4. If you are having problems with Modern Warfare 2 crashing and not loading then this can be very frustrating. Luckily, there are a couple of things you can do that should get you back into the game!
The time has come again for a new Call of Duty, this time bringing the much-awaited Modern Warfare 2. Being a huge fan of the COD series I have been looking forward to this one, especially as I loved the first Modern Warfare. It’s great fun sitting back playing with friends and trying to get to the top of the leaderboards in the different game modes such as Team Deathmatch, Search and Destroy, etc.
But seeing as you are on this guide then this means that you are having problems with Modern Warfare 2 not working or not loading on your PS4 or PS5. So below, we have different methods that you can try to get you back into the game ASAP.
Table Of Contents
Why does MW2 keep crashing on PS5/PS4?
There can be many things that can cause Modern Warfare 2 not responding issues on your PS4/PS5. It may crash on startup, keep crashing, give you sign-in errors, or get stuck on the loading screen.
If your console is not running the latest system update it could cause issues, or it could even be that you have the game installed on an external drive and it’s causing crashing problems.
How to fix MW2 Not Working on PS4/PS5
Below I have listed several different methods that you can do to fix the game if Cod MW2 keeps crashing and if it won’t load on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console. You will need to try each method until one fixes the problem that you are having.
Fix 1: Update PlayStation system
Check that there isn’t a new update available for your PS4/PS5. If there is then install it as not only could it help fix the crashing issue that you are having but it can also add new features:
- Go to Settings and then System Software Update
- Install any updates
- Next, go back to System software and then select System Feature Updates
- Click on Restart and Install
Fix 2: Update MW2
There could be a new update available. If you have automatic updates disabled you won’t see this, so check if there is a new update:
- Go to the Modern Warfare 2 game icon on your home screen
- Press the Options button on your controller
- Click on “Check for Update“
Fix 3: Shutdown
Completely shut down your PlayStation and turn it off at the mains for 60 seconds. Then power it back on and try Modern Warfare 2 again. Trust us, doing a shutdown can resolve many problems!
Fix 4: Switch user
Try a different user profile on your PlayStation just in case it is a problem with your profile.
Fix 5: Devices
If you have a headset, controller, keyboard, mouse, USB, etc plugged into your PlayStation then unplug all the devices then try launching Modern Warfare 2, as one of these could be causing the game to not work.
Fix 6: Clear cache
Clearing your console’s cache will remove all the temporary files, allowing your PlayStation to regenerate new ones and hopefully fix the issue you are having.
- First turn off your PS4, unplug the power cable and leave for 60 seconds
- Plug back in and turn it back on and the cache will be cleared
- First, turn off your PS5
- Boot in safe mode by pressing and holding the power button and releasing on the second beep
- Select Clear Cache and Rebuild Database and then Clear System Software cache > Press OK
Fix 7: Rebuild the database
Try rebuilding your PlayStation database. If something has gone wrong with the database then this can cause issues around your PS home but also with the games:
- Turn off your console and then Boot your PS5 into Safe Mode by pressing and holding the power button and letting go after the second beep
- If on PS4 select Rebuild Database
- If on PS5 select Option 5 which is Clear Cache and Rebuild Database > Then select Rebuild database > Press OK (this could take a few hours)
Fix 8: Move game
If you have installed the game to an external drive attached to your PlayStation 4/5 then move the game to the internal drive. This is in case the external drive has become faulty, which is causing the problem with the game crashing.
Fix 9: Reinstall
If none of the above methods helped fix Modern Warfare 2 2022 not working and crashing your PlayStation then the next thing to do is reinstall the game:
- Press the Options button on your PlayStation controller when you hover over the Modern Warfare 2 icon
- Select Delete
I hope the above guide has helped you fix Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 crashes and it not working while playing on your PlayStation. And hopefully, you can now get back to trying to win a couple of matches in-game!
If you enjoyed this guide and found it helpful then we are sure you would like some of our other gaming guides.