In this guide, I will be showing you how to fix God Of War Ragnarok crashing, freezing, and not loading on your PS5 or PS4. Below, I have listed several different methods that you can use to troubleshoot and fix God Of War Ragnarok not working on a PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console.
God Of War Ragnarok is the second game in the series and again allows us to embark on an epic journey as Kratos. Just like the first God Of War, the graphics look stunning with very nice looking landscapes.
There are many types of enemy creatures to fight against using the leviathan axe and different realms to explore. And this is great when the game is working! But as you are reading this guide then this means that God Of War Ragnarok keeps crashing.
Reasons why God Of War Ragnarok keeps crashing?
When it comes to a game crashing on a PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 many things can cause this. Sometimes it can be something really simple such as having to just shut down your PlayStation and turning it back on again.
Or it could be that one of the game files has become damaged, which can happen during an update or installation of the game.
How to fix God Of War Ragnarok not working on PS4/PS5
Below I have listed how to fix the game on both a PS4 or PS5. Just do the method for your console, if I have listed two ways of doing the fix. You will need to do each method until one fixes the game.
Fix 1: Shut down
The first thing to do is to completely shut down your PlayStation and once the console has completely turned off also turn off the mains socket for the console. Then leave it for about 60 seconds and turn your PlayStation back on again.
Doing this will give your PlayStation a good fresh start, and hopefully resolve the issue that you were having with the game.
Fix 2: Check for PlayStation update
Check if there is a new system update available for your PlayStation. If there is then install it as it might have a patch for the crashing/ error code that you are receiving when trying to play God Of War Ragnarok on your PlayStation.
- Go to your PlayStation Home Screen
- Now select Settings by clicking on the settings cog
- Next select System Software Update to check for any available
- Go to your PlayStation Home Screen
- Open Settings > System
- Now select System Software > Then go to System Software Update and Settings
- Select Update System Software
Fix 3: Check for game update
There could be a new update available for the game that patches what’s causing God Of War Ragnarok crashing and not loading on PlayStation. So if there is a new update available install it.
- Go to the God Of War Ragnarok game icon on your PS home screen
- Now press the Options button on your PS controller (3 lines to the right of the touchpad)
- Select the Check for Update option
Fix 4: Clear PlayStation cache
Clearing the PlayStation cache can resolve many problems when it comes to the console playing up, and don’t worry this will not remove any saved data.
If you already followed the above method about shutting down your PS4 then you won’t need to do this.
- Completely shut down your PlayStation 4 then unplug the power cable > Leave it for 60 seconds
- Now plug the power cable back in and turn back on your PS4
- Completely shut down your PlayStation 5 console
- Boot your console into safe mode by pressing and holding the power button > Release on the second beep
- Select Clear Cache and Rebuild Database
- Now select the Clear System Software cache option > Press OK to confirm
Fix 5: Database
If there is a problem with your console’s database then this will cause many issues not only with the games on your PlayStation but also while doing other things on the console, like using the apps and store. Luckily we can easily check if there is a problem with the database and repair it.
- Shut down your PlayStation console completely
- Press and hold the power button and let go when you hear the second beep
- PS4 simply click on Rebuild Database
- PS5 select Clear Cache and Rebuild Database > Then Rebuild Database
Fix 6: Remove saved data
Unfortunately, sometimes the saved data can become damaged which will cause a PlayStation game to crash. So to test if this is the case remove the saved data for God Of War Ragnarok, then try launching the game and see if you have the same issue.
If you do then you can just restore your saved data, so make sure you back up your saved data before removing it.
- Go to the PlayStation home screen now Open Settings > Go to Saved Data and Game/App Settings
- Next, select Saved Data and then go to Console Storage
- Now select God Of War Ragnarok and then Delete
Fix 7: Reinstall
If none of the above methods helped fix God Of War Ragnarok not working on your PlayStation then the next thing to do is reinstall the game. If you did have the game installed on an external drive then reinstall it to the internal drive of your PlayStation.
I hope the above troubleshooting guide fixed God Of War Ragnarok crashing issues on PS5 and PS4 for you, and that you can now sit back and enjoy this beautiful game!
If you did like this guide and found it helpful then I am sure you would like our other gaming guides.