In this guide, we will be taking a look at Windows 10 tips, tricks, and useful settings on your PC or laptop. I have chosen tips that include handy shortcuts, tools, settings, features & Customization tips in Windows 10, which I think are really useful. This is great if you either don’t know about them already or have simply forgotten the keyboard shortcuts for them!
Windows 10 is a very popular operating system, and with Windows 11 being released, there are many of us still using the awesome Windows 10 OS. They are still regularly offering updates and also you can manually install the feature updates if required such as the 21h2 update.
Affiliate links may earn us a commission if you click on the link or make a purchase.
10 Tips & Tricks in Windows 10
There are many shortcuts and features to save you time and effort in Windows, so check out the cool tips and tricks below and give them a try!
Tip 1: Taskbar shortcuts
You can easily open shortcuts on your taskbar using your keyboard:
- Press the Windows key + Number (The number relevant to the position of the shortcut on the taskbar)
Tip 2: Restart the graphics driver
Restarting your graphics driver within Windows is a great thing to do if you are having display issues or black screen issues in games. And you don’t have to restart your PC:
- Press the Windows key + Ctrl + Shift+ B
- Your display will flicker black then resume the display
3. Access useful settings on your start menu icon:
- Right-click on your start menu icon (You can also press the Windows key + X)
4. Quickly show your desktop:
- Press the Windows key + D (or right-click in the bottom far right corner)
5. Bring up the Windows 10 emoji keyboard:
- Press the Windows key + . (or Windows key + ; )
6. Always keep your calculator on top:
- Press Alt + Up Arrow (When the calculator is open on the screen)
7. Restart Windows Explorer within Windows (Remember to save any work before doing this):
- Right-click on your taskbar > Task Manager > Scroll down and underneath ‘Windows Processes’ find Windows Explorer > Right-click > Restart (Everything will flash on your screen and taskbar icons will reload)
8. Change Power Plan on your pc or laptop to performance mode:
- Right-click on the Windows 10 start menu icon (Logo in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen) > Power Options > Additional power settings > Click on the high-performance option (This will use more energy and may drain laptop battery quicker)
9. Pause Windows 10 Updates for up to 35 days:
- Right-click on the Windows 10 start menu icon (Logo in bottom left-hand corner of screen) > Settings > Update & Security > Select Windows Update Tab (Menu on left hand side) > Advanced Options > Under ‘Pause Updates’ select drop down menu and select chosen date to pause updates until (To check they are paused go back to previous menu page)
10. Use Snipping Tool to take screenshots or snippets of a certain area of your desktop
- Type Snipping in Windows 10 search bar (Bottom left-hand corner of the screen) > Open Snipping Tool App > Press New > Click with the left mouse button and hold and drag box to the desired size for your screenshot > Let go of the mouse when ready (Screenshot will be taken and you can edit or save it)
Check out the video tutorial here on 10 Amazing Tips & Tricks In Windows 10 if you are getting stuck.