In this guide, I will show you how to fix Need For Speed Unbound crashing, not launching, or black screen issues. NFS Unbound lets us race around the streets escaping the cops and challenging other drivers, in some very nice-looking street cars! This EA game really does bring back the memories of the older Need For Speed games.
Affiliate links may earn us a commission if you click on the link or make a purchase.
One thing I actually think is kind of smart in Need For Speed Unbound is the cartoony effects that happen while boosting around the roads. And this is all fun when the game is running correctly but as you are on this guide, then this suggests that you are having crashing and loading issues in Need For Speed Unbound on your PC, PlayStation or Xbox. So below I have listed a few different methods to help.
How to fix NFS Unbound crashing on PC
Fix 1: Update GPU
Make sure you have the latest driver installed for your graphics card otherwise this could make the game crash or have a black screen.
I have listed the links below on how you can update a GPU driver if you are unsure how to:
Fix 2: Change the user
Change your Windows user profile as there could be an issue with one of the game’s settings files on the profile which you are signed into. So trying the game on a different profile will fix NFS Unbound crashing if it’s due to this.
Fix 3: Repair game files
If one of the NFS Unbound game files has become corrupted or missing, then this is going to cause problems and the game will more than likely crash on startup. Luckily we can check if this is the cause within Steam or the EA App, depending on where you purchased the game from.
Steam verify game files:
- First open Steam and find Need for Speed Unbound in the list in your Library
- Right-click on it and then go to Properties
- Select Local files and then click on the Verify integrity of game files button
EA verify game files:
- Open the EA App
- Now find Need for Speed Unbound
- Right-click on the game and select Repair
Check out our YouTube video on How To Fix Need For Speed Unbound Crashing, Freezing, Not Launching On PC if you are getting stuck.
How to fix NFS Unbound crashing on PS5
Fix 1: Update console
If you are having issues with Need For Speed Unbound crashing or getting stuck on the loading screen on your PS5, then it may be that you have a pending update for your system software. So try checking for updates.
- Go to Settings then System
- Select System Software and then go to System Software Update and Settings
- Click on the Update System Software option
Fix 2: Update game
The latest patch for the game could have the fix for the crashing issue you are having with the NFS game on your PlayStation 5. So check to see if there are any updates.
- Find the Need For Speed game icon on the home screen
- Press the Options button on your controller to open the menu
- Then select “Check for Update“
Fix 3: Clear Cache
We can easily clear the cache in the PS5 Safe Mode. If you have any corrupted cache files or data stored, then resetting the cache will hopefully fix the issues that you are having in the racing game.
- Turn off your PS5 then Press and hold the power button on your console and release on the second beep
- Click on Clear Cache and Rebuild Database
- Then select Clear System Software cache and press OK
Fix 4: Saved data
Similar to the cache files, if you have corrupted save data then this could be making Need For Speed Unbound crash on startup and making it not load.
Make a backup of your save data in case you want to restore it.
- Open Settings and go to Saved Data and Game/App Settings
- Select Saved Data and then click on Console Storage
- Find Need For Speed Unbound > Press Delete
How to fix NFS Unbound crashing on Xbox Series X|S
Fix 1: Update console
Make sure you have the latest system update installed for your Xbox X|S as it could have a fix for what’s causing Need For Speed Unbound to keep crashing and not load.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller and open Settings
- Now go to System then Updates
Fix 2: Update game
There could be an update available for the game that patches what’s causing the NFS Unbound to not work properly.
- Select My games and apps from the home screen and then select Manage
- Select Updates
Fix 3: Clear cache
Try clearing your Xbox console cache files and this can be done easily as I explain below.
- Turn off your Xbox Series X|S and ensure it’s off
- Now unplug the power cable and wait 60 seconds
- After 60 seconds plug the power cable back in and turn on the console
- You can now test the game again as the cache would have been cleared
Fix 4: Switch profile
Try playing the game on a different profile on your Xbox as there could be an issue with your profile. By swapping users you can check if this is the case and if the game works then you know it’s an issue with that profile.
I hope one of the methods helped fix the issues that you were having with Need For Speed Unbound keeps crashing and freezing on your PC, Xbox Series X|S, or PS5. Hopefully, you can now sit back and race around the streets in your favorite car.