Dota 2 Keeps Crashing To Windows 10 Desktop
Fix Dota 2 Crashing Problems In Windows 10
If you are having problems with Dota 2 crashing to your desktop then don’t panic just yet.
In this post, we will be showing you a few things that you can do on your Windows 10 PC or Laptop that should fix the issue that is causing Dota 2 to crash.
After you have done each method launch Dota 2 and see if it resolved the problem.
How To Fix Dota 2 Crashing To Desktop:
1. Check for Windows 10 Updates – Updating Windows 10 can fix most problems and it’s a good place to start
- Right-click Windows 10 start menu > Settings
- “Update & Security” > Click “Check for updates” button
2. Update or roll back GPU Drivers – If you have recently installed the latest GPU Drivers and since then Dota 2 has been crashing, then try installing the previous drivers. If you haven’t updated to the latest GPU drivers then update them:
- Go to the manufacturer’s site for your GPU to install an older driver version. Check out this post on how to install old NVIDIA Drivers
- Check out these posts on how to update NVIDIA and Intel drivers in Windows 10
3. Close down all background programs – If you have anything running in the background while playing the game then this could be conflicting with Dota 2 causing it to crash to your desktop
4. Make sure your security software is not causing Dota 2 to crash – Try disabling it temporarily, but just remember you won’t be protected while it’s disabled. Also, depending on what security you are using some come with a game mode so try enabling that
5. Enable Windows 10 game mode – Make sure game mode is enabled as this will optimize windows 10 for games. If it’s already enabled then try disabling it just in case it is causing a crashing issue:
- Right-click Start menu > Settings
- Select Gaming
- Click on Game Mode on the left menu and toggle “Game Mode” to “On” or “Off“
7. Run as an admin:
- Open Steam >Right-click Dota 2 in your Library
- Click on Local Files and then Browse
- Right-click the dota2 shortcut > Properties
- Select Compatibility > Tick “Run this program as an administrator” then click “Apply” and “OK“
8. Clean up old temporary files:
- Open the Start menu and search “Disk Clean-up” and open it
- Select your “C:” and click the “Clean Up system files” button
- Now select the options you would like to remove ensuring Directx shader cache and Temporary files are selected then click “OK” then “Delete files“
- If you would like to do a better clean then check out our favorite disk cleaners here
9. Check for Corrupted Windows 10 files and scan hard drive for any errors:
- Open File Explorer > Right-click on your C: Drive
- Click on Properties > Then click on Tools
- Underneath ‘Error checking‘ click on “Check” > Click on “Scan Drive”
- If there any errors fix them > Then Restart your PC
- Do this for all drives that Dota 2 is installed on
10. Check for corrupt Dota 2 Files – Steam will scan the Dota 2 files to make sure none of them have become corrupted causing Dota 2 to crash:
- Open Steam > Go to your game library and find Dota 2
- Right-click Dota 2 then click “Properties“
- Click on Local Files and then click on “Verify integrity of game files“
11. Reinstall Dota 2 – If the game is still crashing then a reinstall is the only other thing that might resolve the problem for you
There you have it those are the best methods for fixing Dota 2 crashing problems in Windows 10 on your PC or Laptop.
Also, don’t forget to check out all our other awesome Dota 2 posts here.