Fix Steam Launcher Fatal Error On PC
Steam is a program that basically all PC gamers will have installed on their computer as it has a massive variety of games available that you can download and purchase, and build up a humongous games library.
Not to mention the other many features that the Steam client has to offer such as chatting with friends, earning badges, leveling up, and a huge community. But unfortunately, that does not mean that the Steam client does not have its problems like when your downloads stop working.
So in this guide, we are taking a look at how to fix the fatal error message when trying to launch a game within Steam. This error message will pop up and say something like “Launcher Error Fatal Error: Failed to connect with local Steam Client process! Please make sure that you are running latest version of the Steam Client and launch the game from Steam“. Don’t panic because there are a few things that you can do that will hopefully fix Steam on your Windows computer.
Why Am I Getting A Steam Launcher Error?
The reason you are getting this warning message when trying to play one of your Steam games could be because your Steam client is not up to date, or it could be that one of the game files has become corrupt or missing on the game that you are trying to launch among other reasons, so try doing the below methods and you will hopefully be back within your game in no time at all!
What If The Methods Don’t Fix Fatal Steam Error?
If the methods below don’t work then you might need to use a program like Revo uninstaller which allows you to completely remove a program from your computer. Or you could try and roll back Windows to a point when you were not getting the Steam launcher fatal error.
How To Fix Steam Launcher Fatal Error?
Below are the methods for fixing Steam when you are getting a fatal error. After trying each method go ahead and test Steam and see if it resolved the error.
1. Update Steam
Make sure your Steam Client is up to date, as it says in the fatal error message:
- Click on “Steam” in the top left-hand corner of the app
- Click on “Check for Steam Client Updates…”
- If any are available they will install and once done press Close
- Close down Steam completely including in the Windows System Tray
- Restart your PC
2. Run Steam as admin
Running the Steam client as an administrator can fix a whole variety of issues with the game launcher:
- Open the Windows start menu and type in Steam and click on Open File Location
- Right-click Steam and then “Open file location“
- Right-click on the steam.exe and go to Properties
- Select Compatibilty tab > Tick “Run as administator” > Press Apply and OK
- Launch Steam> You will get an error message and press Continue
3. Scan and repair game files
You can run a scan and repair in Steam to check any game files are not corrupt or missing:
- Launch Steam and go to the Library
- Go to the game you are getting the fatal error with > Right-click the game and go to Properties
- Go to Local files > Verify integrity of game files…
4. Reinstall Steam
There you go that’s how you fix Steam when you are getting the annoying fatal error when trying to play one of your Steam games. We hope the above methods helped get Steam working again on your Windows computer. If you found this guide helpful and enjoyed it then you should check out our other Windows guides.
Check out the video tutorial below on Fix Steam Launcher Fatal Error Failed To Connect With Local Steam Client Process, if you are getting stuck: