How To Fix Dota 2 Won’t Start, Launch, Or Open On PC
Dota 2 Not Starting Or Launching In Windows 10
Dota 2 is an extremely fun free to play game, where you can battle it out on the battlefield and try and become victorious.
But if you are unable to launch or start the game then that’s no good so in this post, we will be taking a look at what you can do to try and resolve the reason why Dota 2 won’t start, launch or open on your Windows 10 PC or Laptop.
There can be many reasons why Dota 2 won’t start on your computer. Perhaps your system doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements or one of the Dota 2 files has become corrupted. Either way, we have listed a couple of things you can try below.
If it’s your first time booting up Dota 2 then be patient as it will take longer to load
Steps To Fixing Dota 2 Won’t Launch or Boot Up In Windows 10:
1. Restart your PC – You have probably already done this but just in case restart your computer as this will fix most problems when it comes to issues with Windows 10 and games not launching
2. Check System requirements – If your PC doesn’t meet the minimum requirements then Dota 2 will not work on your computer:
- Go here and ensure your computers hardware meets the minimum requirements
3. Have you made any changes recently to Windows 10? – If Dota 2 has always launched fine then just have a think if you have done anything to Windows 10 that could have caused Dota 2 to not launch such as; installed a new update, changed drivers, installed new software, added new hardware, etc.
4. Update Windows 10 & Graphics Card Drivers – Make sure you have the latest Windows 10 updates & GPU Drivers installed as this can usually fix a lot of problems:
- Right click start menu > Settings > Update & Security > Click “Check for updates” button
- Check out our posts on how to install the latest NVIDIA and Intel drivers
5. Check for corrupted Dota 2 game files – Ensure none of the Dota 2 files have become corrupt by verifying them in Steam:
- Open Steam > Locate Dota 2 in your game Library > Right-click Dota 2 then click “Properties“
- Click on “Local files” on the left menu > Click on “Verify integrity of game files“
6. Run Dota 2 as an admin:
- Open Steam > Right-click Dota 2 in your Library > Properties > Local Files > Browse
- Right-click Dota 2 shortcut > Properties > Compatibility tab > Tick “Run this program as an administrator” then click “OK“.
7. Make sure your security is not blocking Dota 2 from launching – Temporarily disable your security but just remember you won’t be protected while you do
8. Try a different user profile – Swap user accounts and see if Dota 2 launches on a different Windows user profile, if it does then its an issue with your user profile:
- If you don’t have another local user account on your PC then you can view how to create a local user here
9. Reinstall Dota2 – Reinstall Dota 2 and if you can, install it to another hard drive just in case there is an issue with your drive:
- You can view how to uninstall Dota 2 here
There you have it that is how you fix Dota 2 not launching on your PC or Laptop in Windows 10.
Comment below and let everyone know which method helped get Dota 2 working on your computer. If Dota 2 still won’t launch then you might need to reset Windows 10.