How to Connect A PS3 Controller to Windows 10 On PC Or Laptop 2020
This Windows 10 tutorial will show you how to connect a PlayStation 3 controller to your PC or laptop via Bluetooth, using a third party driver without using Motioninjoy.
Once the PS3 controller has connected and setup you will be able to use it to play your PC games, which is great if you want to game with more comfort using a great controller like this one.
For the PS3 controller to connect to your Windows 10 PC using Bluetooth you will need to make sure; you have met all the requirements as listed below, install a third-party driver (Dual Shock 3-4 SCP) and you will also need Windows WinRAR software installed to extract the compressed folder.
Requirements & download links For Dual Shock 3-4 SCP Bluetooth Driver:
1. Microsoft .NET 4.0
2. Visual C 2010 Runtime.
3. Latest DirectX Runtime.
4. Latest Xbox 360 Controller Drivers available.
5. Genuine Sony DualShock3 or DualShock4 or SixAxis Controller(s).
6. Minimum of Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR Dongle (if using Bluetooth). [DualShock4 requires minimum of Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR Dongle]
7. Administrator rights on your PC.
8. Download WinRAR
9. Download SCP Bluetooth Driver Here
Create a system restore point before installing any of the above
To Connect PS3 Controller to PC or Laptop:
1. Check you have all the requirements listed above. (If you don’t have requirements 1-4 installed then click on their links to install them)
2. If you don’t have any folder extraction software then click on the WinRAR link above (Requirements step 8) > Click on a correct version to install > Save file > Run setup file > Press install after agreeing to Terms & Conditions > Press OK
3. Click on Download SCP Bluetooth Driver link above (Requirements step 9) > Click download on the right hand side of the page > Save file
4. Once the file has downloaded Open File Explorer > Open Downloads folder > Move SCP Driver Package to the location of your choice on your PC (E.g Desktop) > Right-click > Extract Here
5. Open the Scp Server Folder that’s just been extracted > Click ‘Bin’ > Right click on ScpDriver > Run as administrator
6. Plug in your PS3 controller into a USB port using the PS3 cable (All four lights on the controller should be flashing)
7. Turn on your Bluetooth on your PC or Laptop or plug in a Bluetooth adapter
8. Tick box for ‘Force install’, ‘Configure Service’ and ‘Bluetooth Driver’ > Press install (Once the driver has installed successfully light number one on PS3 controller should flash)
9. Disconnect PS3 controller > Restart PC > Plug in and turn on PS3 controller (Light number one on PS3 controller should have a solid light – no flashing)
If you don’t have a solid light on the PS3 controller after restarting your PC do the following:
- Unplug PS3 controller
- Open the Scp Server Folder > Click ‘Bin’ > Right-click on ScpServer.exe > Run as administrator (will say disconnected at the top)
- Plug in PS3 controller > Press PS button on controller (Number one light should light up on controller) > Unplug PS3 cable
- Open ScpMonitor (Should be an icon in system tray) > Controller will say connected
After all these steps you can now play your PC games with your PS3 controller
If you are still having issues connecting make sure your Bluetooth is enabled and/or check that your Bluetooth adapter is working.
Check out the video tutorial below on How to Connect A PS3 Controller to Windows 10 On PC Or Laptop if you are getting stuck: