In this guide, we will be taking a look at how to fix Modern Warfare 2 Beta crashing and not loading on PC. If you are having issues with the game constantly crashing to your desktop, freezing, or perhaps it just won’t load on your Windows 10/11 PC then don’t panic. As there are a couple of things you can do to fix MW2 Open Beta crashes, which we show you in this guide.
It’s finally here, the Modern Warfare 2 Beta on computer. As it’s only the beta we don’t have access to all the game’s content and there is currently a level cap in MW2, but even with all this the game is still fun.
But you are not here to read about the game you want to know how you can fix Modern Warfare 2 Beta not working and crashes, so you can get back to playing. So below I have put together different methods you can do that should fix the game on your computer.
Why does MW2 Beta keep crashing on PC?
There can be many things that cause MW2 to not work on your Windows computer and keeps crashing. For example, if you have overclocked your hardware this could cause issues, especially if it has not been done correctly.
If one of the game files has become corrupted or missing then will cause many issues, and in fact, stop the game from loading. Or even having an out-of-date graphics card driver can cause errors.
How to fix Modern Warfare 2 crashing on PC
Below are the different methods for fixing MW2 open beta crashing and not loading on a Windows 10 or Windows 11 PC or laptop. You will need to do each method until one fixes the issue you are having.
Fix 1: System requirements
If your system does not meet the minimum requirements to play the game then you are going to have crashing on startup problems in MW2.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 PC minimum system requirements:
- OS: Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (64-Bit)
- CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 / AMD FX-6300
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 80GB HDD space
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 / AMD Radeon HD 7950
- DirectX Version: DX11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
Fix 2: Update system
Next, ensure you have the latest Windows 10/11 updates installed on your computer.
Right-click on the start menu icon and click on Settings
Go to Update and Security and then Check for updates
- Right-click the start menu icon and go to Settings
- Click on Windows update and then Check for updates
Fix 3: Graphics driver
Check if there is a new driver available for your AMD, Intel, or NVIDIA graphics card:
Fix 4: Update DirectX
Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your computer.
- Go to the Microsoft website and download the DirectX installer
- Follow the steps to check for the latest version of DirectX
- If there is a newer version available then it will begin to install
Fix 5: Run as an admin
Try running the game with administrator privileges.
- Go to the location where you installed the game right click on the cod.exe and Select Run as administrator
Fix 6: Turn off
Turn off your computer and leave it for 60 seconds. Then turn it back on again as it could just be your system/ Windows is having a funny moment.
Fix 7: Background programs
Close down all background programs/apps in case one of them is conflicting with MW2 Open Beta causing it to crash and not launch.
Fix 8: Unplug devices
If you have a headset, microphone, controller, USB, etc plugged into your computer unplug all of the devices except for your keyboard and mouse then launch the game as one of these could be causing MW2 to crash.
Fix 9: Clear DirectX cache
Deleting cache files can remove any files that may have become corrupted, so try clearing your DirectX Shader cache in Windows:
- Open the start menu and search Disk Clean-up and select it
- Now select your C: Drive
- Deselect everything except DirectX Shader Cache > Press OK then Delete Files
Fix 10: Clear cache files
Clear NVIDIA shader cache & files:
- Open File Explorer > Type %localappdata% into the address bar > Press enter
- Find the NVIDIA folder and open it
- Open the DXCache folder first and Delete all the items in this folder
- Go back and open the GLCache folder and Delete all the items in this folder
- Now go back to the %localappdata% folder
- Find the NVIDIA Corporation folder
- Open the NV_Cache folder and Delete all the files in this folder
Clear AMD shader cache & files:
- Open the AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition
- Click on the Settings cog in the corner of the program
- Select the Graphics tab and expand Advanced
- Click on Perform Reset next to Reset Shader Cache
Fix 11: Restart Shader cache
Within Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, you can restart the shader cache files for the game. Doing this can resolve many problems including graphics issues:
- Launch the game then go to Settings
- Now Select Graphics tab then ensure you are on the Display tab
- Click Restart Shaders Optimization
Fix 12: Overclock
If you have overclocked any of your system’s hardware then remove these overclock settings if you are able to and know-how, as it could be causing the game to crash.
Fix 13: Profile settings
- Open up File Explorer and go to your Documents Folder
- Right-click on the Call of Duty folder and rename it to Call of DutyBK
Fix 14: Game files
If one of the game files has become corrupted or missing this will stop MW2 Open Beta from launching and also cause it to crash. Luckily, we can check if there is a problem with one of the files.
- Open Steam and find MW2 Open Beta in the list in your Library
- Right-click on it and then go to Properties
- Select Local files and then click on the “Verify integrity of game files” button
- Open Battle.net app
- Now select the Games tab and find MW2 Open Beta
- Click the Settings cog then select Scan and Repair
- Then Begin Scan
Fix 15: Reinstall
We hope one of the above methods helped fix the MW2 Beta crashing on your computer and you can now enjoy the game.
If you did like this guide and found it helpful then we are sure you would like our other gaming guides.
Check out our YouTube video here on “Fix Modern Warfare 2 crashing & not launching on PC” if you are getting stuck.