If you are a PC gamer but you love using a classic controller to play your games, then this guide will show you how to connect your PlayStation 3 controller to your Windows 10 PC or laptop.
You may also want to use a Switch Joy-Con or an Xbox One controller, but we love the classic PS3 controller, and it is one of our favourites to use when gaming on PC.
Once the controller has been connected and set up, you will be able to use it to play your PC games. This is great if you want to game with more comfort using a great controller like this one!
Do I need the Motioninjoy Windows 10 app?
The answer to this question is no, you do not need Motioninjoy for this method of connecting a PS3 controller on a PC.
We use a third-party SCP Bluetooth driver, which is a free custom-made Windows driver that allows you to connect your Dualshock controller to your computer.
Can I use my PS3 controller with any PC game?
Once you have installed the correct drivers and components listed below, then your DualShock 3 should work automatically with any games that support gamepads on your Windows 10 PC or laptop. This includes Microsoft app games and games in Steam, Origin, or Epic Games.
Is Bluetooth required to connect a PS3 wireless controller to PC:
You will need a Bluetooth connection to be able to use your DualShock controller to play PC games. If your device does not have built-in Bluetooth then you can use an adapter or dongle.
Requirements to connect a dualshock 3 controller to PC:
For the PS3 controller to connect to your Windows 10 PC using Bluetooth, you will need to make sure you have met all the requirements listed below. And it is always worth creating a system restore point on your PC before installing them:
- Microsoft .NET 4.0
- Visual C 2010 Runtime
- Latest DirectX Runtime
- Latest Xbox 360 Controller Drivers available
- Genuine Sony DualShock 3 or SixAxis Controller
- Minimum of Bluetooth 2.0 Or EDR Dongle
- Administrator rights on your PC
How to use a PS3 controller on PC:
Before following the steps below make sure you have met the above PC requirements. If you don’t have the first 4 installed then click on their links to install them.
1. To begin with, if you don’t have any folder extraction software then go to this link to Download WinRAR > Click on a correct version to install (Either 32 bit or 64bit) > Click on Save file > Run setup file > Press Install > Press OK
2. Click on the following SCP Bluetooth Driver link > Click Download on the right-hand side of the page > Click on Save file
3. Once the file has been downloaded open File Explorer > Open the Downloads folder > Move the SCP Driver Package to the location of your choice on your PC (E.g Desktop) > Right-click on the folder > Click on Extract Here (If using WinRAR)
4. Open the ScpServer Folder that’s just been extracted > Click ‘Bin‘ > Right-click on ScpDriver > Click on “Run as administrator“
5. Plug in your PS3 controller into a USB port using the PS3 cable (All 4 lights on the controller should be flashing)
6. Turn on your Bluetooth on your PC or Laptop or plug in a Bluetooth adapter
7. Tick the boxes for “Force install” “Configure Service” and “Bluetooth Driver” > Press Install
8. Once the driver has been installed successfully light number one on the PS3 controller should flash
9. Disconnect your PS3 controller > Restart your PC
10. Once your computer has restarted plug in and turn on your PS3 controller (By pressing the PS button) > The first light on the controller should have a solid light > You can now unplug your controller and use it to play your games
No solid light on my PS3 controller after restarting my PC?
If you have followed the steps above and found that your light is still flashing after restarting your computer, then you can try the following:
1. Unplug your PS3 controller
2. Open the ScpServer Folder again > Click ‘Bin‘ > Right-click on ScpServer.exe > Click on “Run as administrator” > At the top next to “Host Address it will say “Disconnected“
3. Plug the PS3 controller back in > Press the PS button on the controller > The Number one light should light up on the controller and remain solid > Unplug your PS3 cable
4. Open the ScpMonitor using the icon in the Windows System Tray > It should now say “Connected“.
That’s how you can connect your PS3 wireless controller to your Windows 10 PC or laptop and we hope you enjoy playing your favourite PC games using this awesome classic controller.
If this guide did help you out then we have plenty more Windows 10 gaming guides here.