Fix Fortnite Chapter 3 DirectX & Graphics Errors On PC
Fortnite Chapter 3 was released on the 5th December 2021 and we have a different map to explore as it has been flipped from chapter 2. If you have not seen The End video for Fortnite Chapter 2 then you should check it out as it is definitely worth a watch! As you already know Fortnite is still free to play meaning you can install it on your computer for free and it still has available Creative Mode and Battle Royale.
So with a new chapter can come new issues with the game such as crashing, or currently no split-screen option on console versions of the game. There is also the reason why you are currently on this guide and that is because of a graphics or DirectX error which you are currently receiving when trying to play Fortnite Chapter 3 on your computer. Luckily there are a few different things that you can do within the Fornite game to fix DirectX 11, DirectX 12, and other graphics warning messages which we have listed below in this Fortnite fixing guide.
If your computer does not meet the minimum requirements to play Fornite Chapter 3 then you will run into issues or not be able to play the game at all.
What Will The Methods Below Fix?
The methods below are aimed at resolving any graphics related warning issues such as; the error message you can receive before launching Fortnite that says there are known issues with your GPU, d3d11 compatible GPU (Feature Level 11.0, Shader Model 5.0) is required to run the engine error, DirectX 11, directx12 and other graphics errors.
What If The Methods Below Don’t Work?
If the methods below do not fix the graphics error that you are receiving in Fortnite Chapter 3 then as we suggested above ensure that your system definitely meets the minimum requirements to play Fortnite, and if it does then you might need to reinstall Fortnite.
Why Am I Getting Graphics Errors In Fortnite Chapter 3?
There can be many reasons as to why you are unfortunately receiving DirectX and graphics error messages when trying to play the game. The most common causes are due to not having the latest driver installed for your graphics card or DirectX not being up to date.
How To Fix DirectX & Graphics Issues In Fortnite Chapter 3:
Below we have listed a few different methods which will hopefully get you back into Fortnite without it crashing from graphics errors. After you have tried each method go ahead and play Fortnite and see if it fixed the problem for you.
1. Update Windows
It is important to ensure Windows is up to date as this can fix all sorts of issues with Fortnite:
- Right-click start menu and click on Settings > Update & Security
- Click Check for update button and let Windows install any new updates it detects
2. Update Graphics
Updating the driver for your graphics card can work wonders in resolving graphics related issues and DirectX problems when playing Fortnite, and it can also help improve the performance of the game. Go to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics card and download the latest driver for your GPU:
3. Update DirectX
It is important to ensure you have the latest version of DirectX installed, and don’t worry it’s easy enough to do:
- Head over to the Microsoft website here and click on Download
- Run the setup file and follow the instructions to install the latest DirectX files for Fortnite
4. Run Fortnite As Admin
- Browse to the location where you have installed Fornite on your computer then go to the following path:
- Then scroll down and find the 3 Fortnite.exe files
- Right-click on each of them and then click on Properties > Compatability tab > Tick the box for “Run this program as an administrator” > Press Apply
5. Disable Fullscreen Optimisation
- Browse to the location where Fortnite is installed on your PC then go to the following path:
- Then scroll down and find the 3 Fortnite.exe files
- Right-click on each of them and then click on Properties > Compatability tab > Tick the box for “Disable fullscreen optimizations” > Press Apply
6. Delete Fortnite Config File
This file contains your Fortnite Chapter 3 settings and renaming this file will make Fornite create a new one with the default values which could resolve the issues you are facing with the game:
- Open File Explorer and type the following in the address bar and press enter: %localappdata% > Then go to the following path:
- Rename the file to something different (for example we changed ours to GameUserSettingsbackup)
7. Force Fortnite To Run In DirectX 11
Forcing Fortnite to use DirectX 11 only can help resolve a lot of DirectX issues with the game and this can easily be done within the Epic Games Launcher:
- Open Epic Games Launcher > Click your Profile icon in the top right-hand corner > Select Settings
- Scroll down until you find Fortnite and expand it
- Tick the box for “Additional Command Line Arguments” > Type d3d11 in the box
We hope the above methods helped fix Fornite Chapter 3 graphics issues on your Windows computer. If you are still having issues then you might want to try verifying the game’s files to check if any of them have become corrupt or missing, and if that does not work then as we said above you might need to reinstall the game. If you did enjoy this guide and found it helpful then we are sure you would enjoy our other gaming guides.
Check out the video tutorial below on FIX Fortnite Chapter 3 DirectX & Graphics Errors On PC, if you are getting stuck: